Brazing is the process of connecting metals that are similar or even dissimilar using a filler metal. Filler metals usually have a copper basis with silver, nickel, zinc, or phosphorous added to it. The main difference between brazing and welding is that brazing does not melt the base metal because it uses lower temperatures (between 900 and 2200 degrees Fahrenheit).
The results of brazing stainless steel or other materials are strong, often stronger than the base metals that were bonded together. As a result, brazing is the method of choice for combining dissimilar metals. Following the steel plate hire, the following are the processes that this company will conduct while brazing steel:
- Clear the Work Surface: Ensure there are no combustible materials on the work surface or in the immediate vicinity. Clean the metal components to eliminate any chemical residues, then dry thoroughly before cleaning the stainless steel pieces.
- Use Flux: Flux is a corrosive cleaning agent applied in metal combining and extractive metallurgy with multiple functions. When brazing stainless steel, the flux has two purposes: it dissolves oxides on the metal surface and operations as an oxygen barrier to prevent oxidation.
- Ensure that the work area has a brass plate to absorb excess heat: A company that performs heat-treating services will already have a brass plate on hand.
- Begin heating the metals by placing them on the brass plate and heating them with a flame. The two components will be heated indefinitely until the stainless steel surface is completely melted away.
- Press the Pieces Together: This will help to prepare the pieces for the filling procedure.
- Prepare the work area to use the filler material: Clean the workspace before cleaning the stainless steel with a flux.
- Heat the brass plate’s filler metal: Reheat the steel until it’s hot enough to link with the filler metal. Touching the filler metal to the stainless steel is the easiest method to tell if it’s hot enough. If the filler metal melts when it comes into contact with the steel, it’s hot enough.
- Weld the metals together: When the stainless steel is warm enough, weld it to the filler metal.
Steel plate hire Companies that offer heat treatment services may have specialized instruments or resources that make the process go more smoothly. When brazing steel, extra caution is required to avoid oxidation. The heat cycle must also be well managed, the cooling cycle must be well controlled and durable, and the atmospheres must be stable. When stainless steel is brazed or annealed by a qualified heat treating company, it achieves optimum corrosion resistance. Organizations in need of assistance brazing steel should look for a company with years of experience and a track record of delivering uniform brightness and on schedule.